May 8th 2021
The Royal Horticultural Society has revealed the shortlist for its first ever RHS Chelsea Sustainable Garden Product of the Year Award as the world-famous show strives to promote and highlight the increasing importance of sustainability within the horticultural industry.
As part of the RHS Chelsea Flower Show sponsored by M&G, the Garden Product of the Year Competition will this year place prominence on entrants’ green credentials bringing sustainability to the forefront. The ten shortlisted products (listed below) will be judged against a criteria that takes into consideration their carbon footprint, environmental best practice, durability, biodegradability and recyclability as well as design innovation, functionality and quality.
RHS Chelsea Sustainable Garden Product of the Year Shortlist 2021:
- Wool Compost with Comfrey by Dalefoot Composts, RRP £10.99 – Dalefoot Composts’ peat-free range now has a hat-trick of performance-packed natural ingredients – comfrey, bracken and sheep’s wool to give gardeners a truly sustainable option to their growing. www.dalefootcomposts.co.uk
- DuraOcean® Chair by Distinctive Garden, RRP from £179 - DuraOcean® is the UK’s first commercially available chair made exclusively from 3.5kgs of recycled ocean plastic waste including fishing nets and ropes. www.distinctivegarden.co.uk
- Woodland Low Oval Table by Gaze Burvill, RRP £5,250 – Inspired by the Sweet Chestnut tree, the Woodland Low Oval Table takes its template from nature making each piece as unique as the tree that it came from. www.gazeburvill.com
- Compost Loo by Green Oak, RRP £4,900 – A pretty and transportable compost loo. www.greenoakfurniture.co.uk
- Ocean Plastic Pots, RRP £15.00 – Plant pots made from discarded rope and fishing net. Manufactured in the UK, they’ve developed a circular economy product that raises awareness of the ocean plastic problem. www.oceanplasticpots.com
- PlantBox, RRP £60 – designed to bring walls to life and life to walls! This cleverly simple, modular and stackable vertical garden system is manufactured in the UK from 100% recycled materials. www.biotecture.uk.com/bioextra/plantbox/
- Husqvarna Automower 405X by Platts Horticulture, RRP £1,699 – high performance, yet easy to use robotic lawnmower suited for smaller lawns, handling both narrow passages and slopes up to 40% with perfect result. www.plattshorticulture.co.uk
- Maintenance Kit by Sneeboer Trading BV, RRP £63.60 - The Sneeboer Maintenance kit keeps all quality hand-forged stainless-steel tools in perfect condition no matter the garden soil types and conditions. www.sneeboer.co.uk
- Twool Naked by Twool, RRP £6.50 - Twool naked is a naturally coloured British wool garden twine giving the strength and durability required of an all-round garden twine together with the aesthetics of blending naturally and harmoniously with planting. www.twool.co.uk
- New Vegebag by Vegepod UK, RRP £49.00 – the new Vegebag by Vegepod has been improved to incorporate wicking bed and water reservoir technologies into a compact sized fully contained grow bag. www.vegepod.co.uk
The shortlist will be assessed by a team of experts including entrepreneur and Dragons’ Den investor Deborah Meaden.
Despite the postponement of this year’s RHS Chelsea to September, the competition is continuing to take place within its usual time frames and the winning product will be announced during the RHS Virtual Chelsea Flower Show (17-21 May). Read more here: https://www.rhs.org.uk/shows-events/virtual-chelsea
Shortlisted products will also be on display in the Great Pavilion at the September show.
RHS Chelsea Flower Show (21-26 September 2021)
Source: RHS Press Release